Sunday, November 7, 2010

MOVIE REVIEW: 'The Social Network' Reels You In and Hooks You, but...

The Social Network --Columbia Pictures.
Directed by David Fincher
Screenplay Adaptation by Aaron Sorkin, based on Ben Mezrich's best selling book The Accidental Millionaires.
Cast: Jesse Eisenberg, Andrew Garfield, Justin Timberlake, Armie Hammer, Josh Pence, Joseph Mazzello, Rooney Mara and Brenda Song
Film Editors: Kirk Baxter and Angus Wall
My Rating: B

Aaron Sorkin's manic paced dialogue propels The Social Network and David Fincher gets the best performance out of the subject the film is based on itself, as opposed to any one actor. That is a good thing, actually. I say that because the main character, truthfully speaking, is Facebook. The drama surrounding Mark Zuckerberg (a solid performance from Jesse Eisenberg) and how his empire came about from the beginning just seven short years ago with all of it's subplots, dramas and innuendo. I came away from the film with the feeling that this is the story of a lonely guy that got hurt by a girl he liked - and he was gonna show her.

While the film has been critically praised, I can see some of the why behind the praise, but it certainly does not grab me as the 'movie of the year' as some critics seem to have touted. I think it is an important film worthy of some accolades, but I think just like it's subject being shoved down our collective subconscious throats - so is the brilliant marketing of the film. If I were to take the film and stand it by itself without all the hype and hoopla, I would say that it is a relative subject to today's society and how one man's loneliness lead him to much fortune and fame, but at the end of the day he still doesn't have that one special friend. Very Hollywood.

As for Awards buzz, because I always go there whenever I talk movies...perhaps, it will be on everybody's Best Picture list - despite my personal feelings...but who am I? While Eisenberg is definitely wonderful, and maybe even deserving a Best Actor nod; I am not sure he will make the cut in a category that always seems to have more possibilities than it can contain. However, Andrew Garfield, as his patient, yet jaded business partner and friend and Justin Timberlake's slick, if not slithering portrayal of Napster founder Sean Parker are both on my list for possible Best Supporting Actor nods from the various awards groups. Timberlake actually surprised me, because through all the reserved and intellectual, though oft times tense back and forth dialogue it was Timberlake's performance that had me leaning forward in my chair just a tad. Maybe because my blood pressure raised just a little. Just not sure if it was due to the fact that his Parker was taking advantage of a good situation or that Eisenberg's Zuckerberg seemed so far removed from the situation half the time that you wondered truly, where was this guy coming from?

Along with Aaron Sorkin's, per usual, golden pen; Fincher's well-paced direction and Kirk Baxter & Angus Wall's beautiful film editing...I am sure this film will be on many lists come awards season. As for the social commentary, I almost wish the film would have went just a little further and covered its subject when it reached past the college campuses and became the global phenomenon it is today. Other than that, I definitely would recommend a viewing.

No comments: