Sunday, January 9, 2011

GRAMMY WATCH - Folk, Hawaiian, Native American, Zydeco & Cajun (American Roots) Music Categories - Picks & Predictions

One of the continuously growing fields of music that has expanded the most with the Grammy Awards is folk music. It used to be just one category, then the Academy split between two (traditional & contemporary), then in the last decade or so came a separate category for Native American music, then Hawaiian music and, most recently, Zydeco or Cajun music. I have included links to a variety of articles and websites (just hover over each genre previously listed) to give an idea of what each one sounds like and why they actually differ from one another. I found my research fascinating and it did assist me in my picks and predictions, which in these specialty categories I have found I either do (or guess) very well, or tank terribly. I am proud to say, this year I have researched my little Grammy project the most than previous years, so it will be interesting to see what my batting average ends up being when all is said and done.

Best Hawaiian Music Album

My Pick & Prediction:
HUANA KE ALOHA
Tia Carrere
[Daniel Ho Creations]

Best Traditional Folk Album

Ricky Skaggs can do no wrong. Musically, his use of instrumentation has made him legendary in Bluegrass, Country and Southern Gospel music - all genres which he has won Grammy Awards for in the past. This, his first solo effort, I am sure Grammy voters will award him in a fourth genre - that being in Folk music. Very well deserved.

My Pick & Prediction:
RICKY SKAGGS SOLO: SONGS MY DAD LOVED
Ricky Skaggs
[Skaggs Family Records]

Best Contemporary Folk Album

My Pick:
LOVE IS STRANGE - EN VIVO CON TINO
Jackson Browne & David Lindley
[Inside Recordings]

My Prediction:
THE AGE OF MIRACLES
Mary Chapin Carpenter
[Zoe Records]
Best Native American Music Album

My Pick & Prediction:
XI
Bear Creek
[Canyon Records]
Best Zydeco Or Cajun Music Album

My Pick:
ZYDECO JUNKIE
Chubby Carrier And The Bayou Swamp Band
[Swampadellic Records]

My Prediction:
CREOLE MOON: LIVE AT THE BLUE MOON SALOON
Cedric Watson et Bijou Créole
[Valcour Records]

or vice versa...lol


The 53rd Annual Grammy Awards will be telecast live on Sunday, February 13, 2010 on CBS at 8pm, EST. For complete coverage and full nominees list, please visit the Grammy site.

No comments: