Sunday, September 13, 2009

Through the Darkness, a poem by Antonio Cassone


Through the Darkness

Fade to black
Eyes wide open
Looking, searching, seeking
Feeling, ...touching

Push and pull ...me
Struggle, only to give in
Innocence means nothing
When you chose my destiny

Giving in, only to fight back
One last ditch effort,
To find the strength I lack

Feeling nothingness

Wondering when it will end
Hoping it will...
My anger grows
Due to your selfish need

Plead, I refuse to anymore
Because now you're gone
Just a distant memory
Never to be reunited

There was a day...
I received a letter...
It spoke of your death
I suddenly, eerily felt better

Years, fears and more years
Laughing through the tears
Faking it when thinking it was love
Sought out some sort of savior from above

Poked, prodded, fondled
Wondering if I actually am who I am
Never an apology
Not even a recognition

Nothing will replace the innocence you took from me
But now..., now with time and your passing on
I have never felt more relief
Finally able to let what you did go

Through the darkness I looked up and saw the light
And in the distance I thought I heard you calling
I didn't look back, I just kept walking
I never will you see, loosed from your chains...

I am finally free

© 2009 Antonio Cassone - All Rights Reserved


from the upcoming book Ramblings from the Ragged Edge, by Antonio Cassone

No comments: