Saturday, April 10, 2010

Smoke and Mirrors, a poem by Antonio Cassone


This poem is a dark look at a relationship that has gone too far for too long - with no end in sight. Sometimes, relationships don't need to be physical at all, for them to have a deep and profound impact on your psyche. Sometimes a man can be thousands of miles away locked up in a penitentiary, but his words can make you feel like he is right there... in the room... with you...


Smoke and Mirrors

Pulling proverbial dagger from beneath absent floor boards
Underneath soul's derivative plains, he laments his requests
And there are many, for his needs multiply and soar
Yet, he will speak to me in a reverent tone to meet his quest

I have had to become wise, quick-tongued and ill-mannered
An offense, greatly against my very nature
I have had to play the role, like an actor whose craft mastered
Being sensible when need be and judicious when he is immature

Playing a dangerous game with strangers from inside
Can merely be just sending a simple greeting, a finely worded phrase
Because you never know what will set them off, put them in stride
To meet your mark with contempt, contemplating illusions within a haze

His aura can be dark, yet alluring all in the same
Swirling all around me, I am suddenly alone in the room with him
In time, he takes away my very identity - I no longer have a name
He has stepped in and tried to take from me, deep - intensely from within

I quickly retorted for my loving eyes have bled red-raged tears before
He continuously attempted to control me, like a skilled driver he steers
Me relentless in pursuit of what I cannot settle, refuse to store
I have learned to play along in this game of smoke and mirrors

Copyright ©2010 Antonio Cassone - All Rights Reserved



photo: C.A. McKenzie for McKenzie Brothers Photography

No comments: