Saturday, February 12, 2011

GRAMMY Watch - Pop Music Categories - Picks & Predictions

As I wind up my Grammy Award preview, I do so while nursing a bad bug. I had planned to post real time tomorrow evening both here and on Twitter, but in lieu of me fighting whatever bug is currently going around, I have decided to rest up tomorrow. I guess, for what it is worth, it is a bit better than my coverage last year - where I waited till the last minute to post my predictions then caught one helluva flu bug and couldn't even finish my picks & predictions. I didn't even watch any of the telecast, I was so bad off. And anyone who knows me, knows, that was a first time ever life experience. I normally make it a point to catch all of the major show business awards shows. To miss an Grammy Award telecast is unheard of! Well, it happened. My best case scenario will be to rest up as much as I can tonight and tomorrow, nurse this bug, watch the Awards telecast, go back to sleep and wake up Monday and carry my fat behind on into the office. Not an exciting plan, but a plan nonetheless.

It is what it is. It is what I can do.

That being said, I still have some picks and predicting to do.

Best Pop Female Vocal Performance

Did they REALLY have to nominate a live performance of Halo by Be-YAWN-say? Seriously. I already told you I was under the weather. Are they trying to kill me already? Norah Jones has already been over rewarded as well. I wouldn't mind seeing Sara Bereilles pull an upset, but I am betting that won't happen. It is definitely between Gaga and Perry, at least - it should be.

My Pick: BAD ROMANCE - Lady Gaga (Track from: The Fame Monster)
[Streamline/KonLive/Cherrytree/Interscope]

My Prediction: TEENAGE DREAM - Katy Perry (Track from: Teenage Dream) [Capitol Records]

Best Pop Male Vocal Performance

Though he doesn't deserve it, Michael Jackson will receive the first of many (to come over the next several years) posthumous Grammy Awards this year. And it is a shame, because actually his This Is It is the weakest of the five nominees. I actually hope he loses here, but I know better. Don't mean to sound cold and heartless, but that was just about how I felt about his delivery in this wretched song.

My Pick: JUST THE WAY YOU ARE - Bruno Mars [Elektra]

My Prediction: THIS IS IT - Michael Jackson [Epic]

Best Pop Performance By A Duo Or Group With Vocals

The Glee cast is nominated? Really? WTF? Are you effing kidding me?

My pick: BABYFATHER - Sade (Track from: Soldier Of Love) [Epic]
My Prediction: HEY, SOUL SISTER (LIVE) - Train (Columbia)

I also wouldn't mind Maroon 5 winning here.

Best Pop Collaboration With Vocals

I almost kinda want California Gurls by Katy Perry & Snoop Dogg to win, only because poor ol' Snoop has never gotten Grammy gold. Always the nominee, never a winner. Poor fella. And I would pick Telephone, but that would mean Be-YAWN-say would have another undeserved Grammy Award. Love Lady Gaga, but that is where I draw the line.

My Pick: IMAGINE - Herbie Hancock, Pink, India.Arie, Seal, Konono No 1, Jeff
Beck & Oumou Sangare (Track from: The Imagine Project) [Hancock Records]

My Prediction: AIRPLANES, PART II - B.o.B, Eminem & Hayley Williams (Track from: The Adventures Of Bobby Ray) [Rebel Rock/Grand Hustle/Atlantic]

Best Pop Instrumental Performance

My Pick: NESSUN DORMA - Jeff Beck (Track from: Emotion & Commotion) [Rhino]
My Prediction: SLEEPWALK - The Brian Setzer Orchestra (Track from: Don't Mess With A Big Band) [Surfdog Records]

Best Pop Instrumental Album

My Pick & Prediciton: EVERYTHING IS EVERYTHING: THE MUSIC OF DONNY
HATHAWAY - Kirk Whalum [Rendezvous Music/Mack Avenue]

Best Pop Vocal Album

I kinda want Susan Boyle to win here, even over Gaga. Tough competition. Anyone, but Bieber will do - and I truly think Perry has the edge. Her album screams Pop music of today. I think she will prevail.

My Pick: I DREAMED A DREAM - Susan Boyle [Sony/SYCO Music/Columbia Records]

My Prediction: TEENAGE DREAM - Katy Perry [Capitol Records]

No comments: