Friday, June 29, 2018

XXXTENTACION'S HAUNTING NEWLY RELEASED VIDEO FOR SAD LEAVES ITS MARK - Music Video Review




Hindsight is 20/20 and it appears this brilliant artist had been reflecting over his
young life long before his untimely, tragic death earlier this month.  The posthumously, newly released video for the chart-topping, record-breaking achingly melancholy track SAD! displays his artistry and talent peaked, if not fine-tuned. It unapologetically shows a tormented soul trying to feverishly auto-correct past transgressions.

When he was murdered in an ambush-style, broad daylight “apparent” robbery while
leaving a motorcycle dealership in Deerfield Beach, Florida on Monday, June 18,
2018, I had already heard of him and his music through the weekly Billboard charts.  For several weeks, I had wanted to look his music up and research him further. 
I was curious about this super-indie artist’s impressive rise.  Unfortunately, I admit I waited too late and made the time to learn more about him after his passing.

Not only did his death force my hand to research him and his music, but it was the
pure hatred I saw thrown his way immediately following on social media.  I was shocked and somewhat offended that this supposed ‘nobody’ could have been THAT bad in his short life.  So, I finally sought him out.

For the next few days, it was all about XXXTentacion.  It was a crash course, I read everything I could find about him, watched numerous videos, posts to a variety of social
media feeds, listened to all of his songs that I could find – all displaying the good, bad, ugly and otherwise of his essence. 

First of all, not everybody is all bad, or all good for that matter.  Secondly, just because YOU don’t know who someone is or not that much about them doesn’t make their life, death or legacy that much less.  While I cringed at some of the instances from his past, I realized how young he was in each of those set of circumstances and considered his turbulent background. I also could clearly see that he definitely saw the err of his ways and was, in many ways, trying to turn himself around to do better.

Even though he still faced upcoming legal battles, he was remarkably doing numerous
charitable works, community outreach and encouraging others to better themselves especially his young, growing FAM base to do the same.  I say FAM base because on several occasions he stated that his fans were not just like family, but were family.  It sure seemed that way given the access they had to him at his shows, online and through his various music and video platforms.

Tirelessly creating avenues to showcase his creative, artistic expression and share
thought provoking, even life-changing messages of empowerment and hope for his
growing public.  So, this guy no longer came across to me as the demon spawned child many haters online were passing off with their negative comments and posts.
Obviously, they were basing their “feelings” off of his past domestic violence and criminal activities.  Forget about someone maturing and trying to better; not only themselves, but
countless others through their art.  It was like so many closed the door to him, counted him out and cast him to hell before the body was even cold.

I don’t get it – how we, as a society can boldly, “bravely” spew such hatred
whilst sitting on their judgmental high horses behind a computer screen.  I can’t remember when we became so high and mighty as a collective.  It forced me to look at him with an open mind and I was glad I researched him, before jumping toconclusions.

I feel, and now, his legacy will show others the light and see the positivity among the torment.  When you see a young fam of his saying that his music saved their life; that he showed them it was okay to be depressed.  He showed them (and especially after his death) it is good to use artistic expression as an outlet, a creative gateway out of one’s personal darkness and to do good for others.  He used his platform for the lonely and forgotten youth in these rough times.  He took time out for them and now I feel, even more will be touched by his unique style since I am sure a lot of people are now (like me) discovering his music.

Now, as for the video clip for SAD!  After seeing the video, which premiered on his YouTube channel on June 28, 2018, just ten days after his murder and received almost 30 million video views overnight, it was like all of my recent research all culminated and came together.  Both eerie (knowing what we all know now) and compelling, the video is an excellent showcase of this brilliant young man’s wide-scope of sheer talent in it’s rawest, rarest form.  I see the passion, his artistry exactly for what it is – bold, in your face and, again, unapologetic.

You really witness his personal turnaround and maturity, as he fights with his old
self.  Now, transformed with a sense of remorse and energized from seeing the proverbial light (as it were) he tackles those demons from within.  Creatively, I feel it is one of the best concept videos I have seen in quite a while.  I hope music industry peers recognize XXXTentacion for not only this song and video, but his entire “?” album and not use his past
transgressions against his flourishing, full on artistry. 

I am not saying it is okay to reward ‘bad behavior’ because the art here stands
on its own.  Musically, he was definitely a ‘one-of-a-kind’ artist with his unique sound and wordy, slick phrasing over stylized beats, sounds and sometimes distortions all setting mood fitting for both the intended message and effect.  To be at that skill set at such a young age and in such a short time is nothing short than brilliant.  To be that stylized, that giving to both his art AND his audience. There was/is nobody who sounds like him, in my opinion, in modern pop music.

Finally, it gives me (and I now finally can see, others) something REAL we can all feel.


Antonio Cassone, 2018

No comments: