Friday, August 28, 2009

Dominick Dunne (1925 - 2009) - Made Crime in High Society Intriguing, Witty


It has been said that there will be none like him any time soon, and even though he was 83, I was shocked to hear of Dominick Dunne's passing this week. He was always so energetic and had an in your face approach to storytelling that would draw one in - whether you were reading an article or book of his or watching him on television. Dunne's style was captivating, sometimes humorous, but always intriguing.

High profile criminal cases are already a bit of spectacle for most, but Dominick Dunne had a way to make you look at a case from everybody's standpoint whether you were the one facing the charges or the jury deliberating them. I was actually looking forward to his new season of Power, Privilege and Justice on Court TV.

My close friends know that I have always been captivated by criminal justice. I studied it as my elective in college and my professor told me I would make an excellent statistician/profiler, because I was always looking into the stats and trying to figure out what led a certain type of individual to commit certain crimes over others. Was it circumstance? Or, was it genetics? I could go on and on, but I always looked to shows on Court TV such as Forensic Files and Dominick Dunne's series to further fulfill my appetite for such knowledge.

Who knows? Maybe in reading more about Dominick Dunne this week, it may push me to go back to school and educate myself even more on the criminal justice system. Dunne leaves behind a legacy of journalistic excellence. His columns in Vanity Fair are legendary. His books have been bestsellers. He was also not met without tragedy in his own life. There would be so much to tell about such an intriguing soul, so I encourage you to read the attached obituary.



No comments: