Tuesday, August 25, 2009

OPINION: The Plot Thickens as Jackson's Death is Ruled a Homicide


"WOW!"

I just can't stop saying that three letter word.

Every time I read about or see a news story on the ever-changing saga surrounding Michael Jackson's death, it just gets more and more intriguing. I can understand why the news channels and digital media have covered it so extensively. They will continue to with plot lines better than a best selling novel.

My roommate and I joked one day, when I commented that it would make an excellent movie (and think of the task the makeup artist would have at hand for whichever actor they cast to portray Jackson - let's face it; not too many people look like Michael Jackson from these past few years). We laughed because it couldn't be just a movie. It would have to be a miniseries.

Now, the affidavits and sealed documents come to light and paint a pretty sad picture. It shows how tortured a soul Jackson was, feeling the need to depend on so many drugs. Though they say he was a wonderful father, I question that notion ever more after seeing the latest developments unfold. Children are much smarter than they are given credit for - and I am sure they saw much more than I would ever want to know.

I wrote a recent article pertaining to Michael Jackson's legacy, in hopes that his music would be what he would be most remembered for. That seems less and less possible when I look at these documents and await what the next turn of events will be. I see a legacy of a very selfish, conflicted man. An extraordinary artist and celebrity, but a typical drug addict - wanting and doing anything and everything to get the next fix; no matter what.

Toxicology reports and needle marks from neck to toes do not lie. It is almost uneasy to think of all this man put his body through. Then there's this doctor, who was hired like a month before Jackson's death and seemed in a desperate way himself ...a little strapped for cash, perhaps.

What a web we weave when the character's stay the same, but their characteristics change. At first instance, I looked at Michael Jackson as a weak, frail man surrounded by Judas' and Dr. Murray, on the run - a victim of circumstance perhaps. Now, musical legacy and good Daddy aside, I see Michael Jackson as his own worst enemy, who should have maybe been a bit more careful what he wished for and Dr. Murray as a seedy opportunist.

Time will tell the tale ...as it always comes out in the wash. I just hope, for the sake of reason, that the children didn't see as much as they could have. I hope that as time goes on, Jackson's music will be what people talk about the most. And I hope that, if the doctor was in the wrong he gets what the laws have coming for him.

Most of all, after dealing with people close to me addicted to drugs and alcohol - I hope this tragedy can be a wake up call to people who think that just because they have money to do a, b or c OR can make money doing things. That they take up a sense of responsibilty in the process and if it looks, sounds or smells wrong - then guess what? It's WRONG - and just say no.

That almighty dollar... what ones will do for the possession of it, the lengths they will go to get their hands on it...to own it, to feel it, to control people with it...

It shall be interesting to see how this all progresses... too bad a man had to die, a family changed forever and so many other's held responsible for the selfishness of one...

Turn the page...

~

Read up on the latest on this story at http://www.cnn.com/2009/SHOWBIZ/Music/08/25/michael.jackson.last.hours/index.html

No comments: