Sunday, January 9, 2011

GRAMMY WATCH - Children's, Spoken Word & Comedy Categories - Picks & Predicitions

IF I were a member of the National Academy of Recording Arts & Sciences (NARAS), this would be my niche field of expertise. I have to admit, as the years have gone by these categories have gotten much broader and more competitive. They certainly offer up Grammy choices to some of the finest actors and comedians...people who one would not normally consider a Grammy Award contender.

Best Musical Album For Children

The fact that 91 year old Pete Seeger is still effectively making music is worthy of an award in and of itself. I think he will win here, no problem.

My Pick & Prediction:
TOMORROW'S CHILDREN
Pete Seeger With The Rivertown Kids And Friends
[Appleseed]

Best Spoken Word Album For Children

This looks to be a showdown between two British dames. Emma Thompson is nominated for her whimsical reading of Nanny McPhee Returns, but Julie Andrews project pretty much covered her life's work and impressed me more. I think the Academy will reward her for her efforts.

My Pick & Prediction:
JULIE ANDREWS' COLLECTION OF POEMS, SONGS,
AND LULLABIES
Julie Andrews & Emma Walton Hamilton
[Hachette Audio]

Best Spoken Word Album
This is a very competitive category this year, and the material covers such a wide variety one has to think when predicting these categories who in the Academy has selected Spoken Word as one of their niches. If it is the younger voters, Sarah Silverman and Craig Ferguson have an edge. Elder Academy members may vote Carol Burnett or Woody Allen's way. Those in the middle, or with a vast taste for all things young, old and in between may give it to Jon Stewart or Michael J. Fox. Plus, Fox is always, always a sentimental favorite for his fight with Parkinson's. Just about anything he has been nominated for this past decade he has won - and I think he will win here as well. Though, part of me hopes I am wrong, because I am always lead to wonder if he is winning because the work is actually good - or because of his condition.

My Pick:
THIS TIME TOGETHER: LAUGHTER AND REFLECTION
Carol Burnett [Random House Audio]

My Prediction:
A FUNNY THING HAPPENED ON THE WAY TO THE
FUTURE...
Michael J. Fox [Hyperion Audio]
Best Comedy Album

This category has a who's who in today's comedy. All of these albums will have you rolling on the floor in laughter in some spots and most have a companion DVD. Flight of the Conchords has an edge, being the only predominantly musical choice. The other four: Margaret Cho, Kathy Griffin, Lewis Black and Robin Williams spoken word feats showcase some amazing writing - and, most importantly, delivery skills. Kudos to all five, because this category had lost its luster for awhile. It is definitely back!

My Pick:
CHO DEPENDENT
Margaret Cho [Clownery Records]
My Prediction:
5. WEAPONS OF SELF DESTRUCTION
Robin Williams [Columbia Records]


The 53rd Annual Grammy Awards will be telecast live on CBS on Sunday, February 13, 2011 at 8pm, EST. To get complete coverage and see the complete list of nominees, please visit the Grammy website.

No comments: