Thursday, January 6, 2011

GRAMMY WATCH - Musical Show Category - Picks & Predictions

This is TOUGH! This category is always so good and solid to me. Seriously, ANYONE could win. I am not a huge fan of Green Day... Not hating on them, but I just can't really get into their music and was very skeptical when the musical came out. I also think their rock and pop background will help their musical in this particular category. It just seems obvious to me here.

Musically, I can most personally feel, live and thrive my way through FELA! - I just love all the rhythm, and again - the material was a pleasant surprise when adapted into this modern masterpiece of theatre and dance.

For this category, because it is so good, I am listing the full nominations list for it.

The 53rd Annual Grammy Awards will be broadcast live on CBS on Sunday, February 13, 2011 at 8pm/EST. For complete coverage and list of nominees, visit the Grammy website.

And the nominees are:

Best Musical Show Album

AMERICAN IDIOT (FEATURING GREEN DAY)
Billie Joe Armstrong, producer (Green Day, composers; Billie
Joe Armstrong, lyricist) (Original Broadway Cast With John
Gallagher, Jr., Michael Esper & Others) [Reprise]

FELA!
Robert Sher, producer (Fela Anikulapo-Kuti, composer; Fela
Anikulapo-Kuti, lyricist) (Original Broadway Cast With Sahr
Ngaujah, Lillias White & Others) [Knitting Factory]

A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC
Tommy Krasker, producer (Stephen Sondheim, composer;
Stephen Sondheim, lyricist) (2009 Broadway Revival Cast
With Catherine Zeta-Jones, Angela Lansbury & Others)
[Nonesuch - PS Classics]

PROMISES, PROMISES
David Caddick & David Lai, producers (Burt Bacharach,
composer; Hal David, lyricist) (New Broadway Cast With
Sean Hayes, Kristin Chenoweth & Others) [Masterworks Broadway]

SONDHEIM ON SONDHEIM
Philip Chaffin & Tommy Krasker, producers (Stephen
Sondheim, composer; Stephen Sondheim, lyricist) (Original
Broadway Cast With Barbara Cook , Vanessa Williams, Tom
Wopat & Others) [PS Classics]

My Pick: FELA!

My Prediction: AMERICAN IDIOT (FEATURING GREEN DAY)

Fasten your seatbelts, it's gonna be a bumpy ride! LOL

No comments: