Saturday, January 22, 2011

GRAMMY WATCH - New Age & Jazz Music Categories

My pre- Grammy Award coverage gets jazzed up! Ha. Some fine, fabulous and beloved artists are always in these categories. Again, very competitive this year, but with all the veteran musicians in this field of music, I would expect nothing less. So, grab a nice glass of wine and check out some of these recordings - and chill out!



Best New Age Album

Kitaro's music is just about as close to heaven one can get, musically.

My Pick & Prediction: SACRED JOURNEY OF KU-KAI, VOLUME 4 - Kitaro
[Domo Records] (pictured, CREDIT TO THE PHOTOGRAPHER)

Best Contemporary Jazz Album

My Pick & Prediction: THE STANLEY CLARKE BAND - The Stanley Clarke Band
[Heads Up International]
FYI - Jeff Lorber Fusion may give Stanley a run for his money though.

Best Jazz Vocal Album

My Pick & Prediction: ELEANORA FAGAN (1915-1959): TO BILLIE WITH LOVE
FROM DEE DEE - Dee Dee Bridgewater [Emarcy]

Ms. Bridgewater has kinda owned this category in recent years, after many years of being nominated without wins. Now that she has been winning, I think she has this one in the bag - and deservedly so.

Best Improvised Jazz Solo

What a battle we are in for! Just sayin'.

My Pick: A CHANGE IS GONNA COME - Herbie Hancock, soloist Track from: The Imagine Project [Hancock Records]

My Prediction: VAN GOGH - Wynton Marsalis, soloist Track from: Portrait In Seven Shades (Jazz At Lincoln Center Orchestra) [Jazz At Lincoln Center]

Best Jazz Instrumental Album, Individual or Group

My Pick & Prediction: MOODY 4B - James Moody [IPO Recordings]

Best Large Jazz Ensemble Album

My Pick & Prediction: 54 - Metropole Orkest, John Scofield & Vince Mendoza
[Emarcy/Universal]

Best Latin Jazz Album

My Pick & Prediction: CHUCHO'S STEPS - Chucho Valdés And The Afro-Cuban Messengers
[Four Quarters Entertainment]

The 53rd Annual Grammy Awards will be telecast live on Sunday, February 13, 2011 on CBS at 8pm, EST. For complete coverage and a full list of nominees, please visit the Grammy website.

No comments: