Friday, January 29, 2016

The 22nd Screen Actors Guild Awards: My Picks and Predictions


The 22nd Annual Screen Actors Guild Awards: My Picks and Predictions





Anyone who knows me, knows I love a good awards show.  As a performer, I particularly like the camaraderie among actors.  Some of the best speeches ABOUT being an actor come from this event.  While I don’t see as many movies as I used to, I know more about the ‘industry’ these days more so than the films and as for TV, well… there are so many shows anymore between broadcast, Cable, Streaming… who can keep up, really?  I do pretty good, so I am going to give it a go.  Here are my picks and predicts.

FILM

Best Film Ensemble

"Beasts of No Nation"
"The Big Short"
"Spotlight"
"Straight Outta Compton"
"Trumbo"


My Pick: “Straight Outta Compton” – wouldn’t that be something?
My Prediction: “The Big Short”


Best Actor

Bryan Cranston, "Trumbo"
Johnny Depp, "Black Mass"
Leonardo DiCaprio, "The Revenant"
Michael Fassbender, "Steve Jobs"
Eddie Redmayne, "The Danish Girl"


My Pick: Johnny Depp, “Black Mass” – why he isn’t nominated for an Oscar is beyond me.

My Prediction: To me, it seems tight as usual.  I am torn between DiCaprio and Fassbender.  At the end of the day, I think Leonardo DiCaprio for “The Revenant” – it just seems like the momentum to Oscar is going his way.


Best Actress

Cate Blanchett, "Carol"
Brie Larson, "Room"
Helen Mirren, "Woman in Gold"
Saoirse Ronan, "Brooklyn"
Sarah Silverman, "I Smile Back"


My Pick and Prediction: Brie Larson, “Room” – great performance and even greater campaign to beam her all the way to Oscar glory.  I think her publicist or agent should get an award.  She is everywhere and at the right time.  I am just glad her phenomenal, well-meted perf backs it all up.


Best Supporting Actor

Christian Bale, "The Big Short"
Idris Elba, "Beasts of No Nation"
Mark Rylance, "Bridge of Spies"
Michael Shannon, "99 Homes"
Jacob Tremblay, "Room"


My Pick and Prediction: Idris Elba, “Beasts of No Nation” – I know, I know – I may be totally wrong here, as people have said you gotta be Oscar nominated to win one of these, but only two here are nominated there and I just don’t see a win for either Bale or Rylance, so I am going with my gut here – and it’s pretty big J


Best Supporting Actress

Rooney Mara, "Carol"
Rachel McAdams, "Spotlight"
Helen Mirren, "Trumbo"
Alicia Vikander, "The Danish Girl"
Kate Winslet, "Steve Jobs"


My Pick and Prediction: Kate Winslett, “Steve Jobs”  

Best Stunt Ensemble

"Everest"
"Furious 7"
"Jurassic World"
"Mad Max: Fury Road"
"Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation"


My Pick and Prediction: “Mad Max: Fury Road”





TELEVISION

Best Comedy Ensemble

"The Big Bang Theory"
"Key & Peele"
"Modern Family"
"Orange is the New Black"
"Transparent"
"Veep"


My Pick: “Key & Peele” – hands down, one of the funniest shows ever.

My Prediction: It’s a tough call for me, so I am gonna just throw it out there for “Orange is the New Black”
Best Comedy Actor

Ty Burrell, "Modern Family"
Louis C.K., "Louie"
William H. Macy, "Shameless"
Jim Parsons, "The Big Bang Theory"
Jeffrey Tambor, "Transparent"


My Pick and Prediction: Jeffrey Tambor, “Transparent”


Best Comedy Actress

Uzo Aduba, "Orange is the New Black"
Edie Falco, "Nurse Jackie"
Ellie Kemper, "Umbreakable Kimmy Schmidt"
Julia Louis-Dreyfus, "Veep"
Amy Poehler, "Parks and Recreation"


My Pick and Prediction: Uzo Aduba, “Orange is the New Black” – though I wouldn’t mind a win for Amy Poehler.



Best Drama Ensemble

"Downton Abbey"
"Game of Thrones"
"Homeland"
"House of Cards"
"Mad Men"


My Pick: “Downton Abbey”

My Prediction: “Game of Thrones”


Best Drama Actor

Peter Dinklage, "Game of Thrones"
Jon Hamm, "Mad Men"
Rami Malek, "Mr. Robot"
Bob Odenkirk, "Better Call Saul"
Kevin Spacey, "House of Cards"


My Pick: Jon Hamm, “Mad Men”

My Prediction: Rami Malek, “Mr, Robot”


Best Drama Actress

Claire Danes, "Homeland"
Viola Davis, "How to Get Away with Murder"
Julianna Margulies, "The Good Wife"
Maggie Smith, "Downton Abbey"
Robin Wright, "House of Cards"


My Pick and Prediction: Viola Davis, “How to Get Away with Murder” – of note, Julia Margulies has won eight SAG Awards to date, which makes her virtually unbeatable to some.  I am hoping Viola Davis’ riveting performance shows us otherwise, for once.


Best Movie/Miniseries Actor

Idris Elba, "Luther"
Ben Kingsley, "Tut"
Ray Liotta, "Texas Rising"
Bill Murray, "A Very Murray Christmas"
Mark Rylance, "Wolf Hall"


My Pick and Prediction: Idris Elba, “Luther”


Best Movie/Miniseries Actress

Nicole Kidman, "Grace of Monaco"
Queen Latifah, "Bessie"
Christina Ricci, "The Lizzie Borden Chronicles"
Susan Sarandon, "The Secret Life of Marilyn Monroe"
Kristen Wiig, "The Spoils Before Dying"


My Pick and Prediction: Queen Latifah, “Bessie”


Best Stunt Ensemble

"The Blacklist"
"Game of Thrones"
"Homeland"
"Daredevil"
"The Walking Dead"


My Pick and Prediction: “Game of Thrones”



The 22nd Annual Screen Actors Guild Awards will be nationally simulcast live on TNT and TBS on Saturday, Jan. 30, 2016 at 8 p.m. ET/ 5 p.m. PT. TBS and TNT subscribers will also be able to watch the SAG Awards live through the networks' websites and mobile apps.

Check us out on YouTube – Please Subscribe (It’s Free!) http://www.youtube.com/cassone2007
Check out Antonio Cassone’s Author Page on Amazon at
http://www.amazon.com/-/e/B003OC3MME
Thank YOU!





No comments: