Friday, August 30, 2019

David and Gus and the gang at Monkey Business Bar




David (top left) and I (top rght) after a show at Monkey Business Bar in Fort Lauderdale back in the day. Of course, there is story there. Back in 2006, I was at a major crossroads in my life. At 36 in Detroit, I was professionally lacking, stagnant even. Artistically,  I felt I had done all I could there in both theatre and drag shows.  I called Diva Kingsley and Diva said, "Girl, I don't know why you don't just come down here? David can help you get a job at the agency,  you can stay with us for a year and you can do shows at Monkey Business."  Well, I went down to Fort Lauderdale in March for a week to get the lay of the land, as it were and met Gus, the bar owner at Monkey Business Bar.  The next month in April 2006, I got on that Greyhound and it all happened.  Just like Diva said. I got the job at the agency with David, I roomied with them for a year and I had a show that Gus booked me on the very first weekend I was in town.  Gus has always been so great to me. 300 plus shows later, he also introduced to Doug when we both needed a roommate years later, he always has a space for us entertainers to hone our craft.  With Diva, David and people like Gus, they all breathed new life in to me as not only an artist,  but as a professional and, mostly, as a person.  David Bork, I also want to thank you for being such an integral part of my life and your contributions behind the scenes for so many of us, but for me and the GETTING READY series as on screen talent, and let's not forget all those webisodes your alter ego Madison Avenue co-directed and videographed.  I say all this to say that,  I have never looked at my having to move back to Michigan as a failure.  Life is different now.  Perspectives change. Life also happens.  I have felt artistically stagnant again for awhile now.  Doug, who was like a lifeline to me, passed away.  Then the day gig went kaput on me and then I got another one, then that faltered.  I wish my art paid all the bills and provided medical insurance.   I mean, don't all artists wish that? I always say there are more artists out here like us, than those who are "established."  So, David, Diva and Gus, I  THANK YOU for laying my foundation in South Florida.  If that wouldn't have happened hundreds of performances wouldn't have taken place, nearly 100 photo shoots wouldn't have come to fruition, 17 books wouldn't have been published, over 500 webisodes in 22 seasons of GETTING READY would have happened, all of our collective works may not be all over YouTube, Instagram,  Facebook.  And now, when I get back home to Michigan,  I can bring all of that energy to eager talent awaiting my return.  Everything is cause and effect and you better believe I recognize.  God bless you and, again, THANK YOU for broadening my horizons and helping me find my extended family here in Florida. 

No comments: