Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Behind the Lens 002 - Back in the '90s

Every picture has a story and this feature on my blog is directed to that notion. I decide these first posts would be of my work in front of the the camera. I have been blessed to work with a few great artists who were an excellent match for me and my theatrical or 'drag' persona. Eventually, as I learned and experienced more as a photographer, I ended up pointing that lens inward...lol...to get some interesting self-portraits as well.

These selections are a handful more of what I did in the 1990s and the blurbs behind each one...

Bloody Mary, photo by Sharon L. Cassone (1996)
God Bless my mother... this is a rare find from her. Through the years and due to life circumstances, I lost a lot of the photos she had taken of me from my earlier career. This was from the show The Extravaganza IV: Spellbound & Speechless, which ran at Club 246 in downtown Detroit and was the most successful installment of that series and I still use this photo annually around Halloween. Lilyne Zook designed the outfit. I have no idea what I was even doing in that moment in time, as that show was so off the hook and fun. Ahh, the memories.
makeup & photo by Diva Kingsley; a black and white variation of the photo from the earlier post... playing in makeup: The early days...haha
Miss Sam's Tiffany's Eternity, photo by Deborah Oliver
An 'eternity' only because the club got raided on drug-infested night in Detroit, thus the long standing club with quite a history filled with many good memories over the span of several decades and for many people in the Gay night club scene - all because of a selfish bar owner who cared more about peddling dope and less about his patrons and the entertainers, bartenders, spot light operators, DJs and production staff who counted on his pay to get on with their daily lives. Don't even get me started...
Sketch, by Anonymous
a fan did this drawing for me, but asked I not reveal their identity ever. hell, I don't even remember who did this for me anymore (just kidding), but I LOVE IT!
Miss Sam's Tiffany's Eternity, photo by Deborah Oliver
another variation

No comments: