Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Behind the Lens 004 - Random Tidbits in Drag Over the Years

As I continue on with my archiving old photographs project, I decided to mix it up by going back and forth between my works in front of and behind the camera. It's funny how this has turned out, as that is how my life has been. Between making my videos and doing my photo shoots as a photographer and then, in turn, as a model or my self-portraits to practice different looks AND to practice photo editing - it has been this constant back and forth that has been the course of my careers in entertainment, writing and photography.

That being said, while it is a challenge to focus, I have had fun playing the actor - as I have had to wear several different hats to look at myself, my models and my work objectively. As I get older, I have learned to set up a shot or to know when to throw away a bad take without losing the vision of the overall end project. There would have been the day some years ago that I wouldn't cut anything - thus the 20-minute soliloquy's in my play The Ashley Correspondence or the numerous crap snapshots from years gone by that I look at with laughter now...if not embarrassment.

I have learned to go with the flow, appreciate some of my past works and look forward to some future projects... YAY!

Here is a hodgepodge of clicks from my entertainment works with a blip or blurb (a memory) from each, for with these Behind the Lens posts it is all about the story behind the photo...

Miss Other Side 2000 Talent Competition;
hair, makeup & photo by Diva Kingsley
For the first time in my drag career, I had back up dancers. I was really going for that title... Here I am with Adam (l) and Billy(r) and we did Lovin' Is Really My Game, by Brainstorm... It was a high energy, dance number and we had a ball with it. I ended up getting 1st alternate in the contest though... I was gracious and it was just as good, as the club closed about six months later. That would have been a bummer!
Miss Other Side 200 Evening Gown Competition;
hair, makeup & photo by Diva Kingsley
I felt so elegant and Nickki Stevens beautiful jewelry just set everything off just right. I have never been a 'contest queen' - some female impersonators are so good at it and can compete all the time, doing very well. I have won or been appointed a few titles in my career, but it just was never my thing. I prefer to do a show and support my fellow castmates and friends in the endeavors. The Other Side was just a cool bar and I thought how cool? The name of the title...hahaha... Miss Other Side Lounge...ahhhh *snap* *snap*
In Session at the Disc Ltd. Recording Studio; 1995
WOW! It is funny because most people publicly have seen me mostly in drag over the years on my various websites. Funny, only because I am 'in face' about 5% of the time and the other 95% of the time I am more like this...LOL. I don't live my life as a woman. Some of my fellow artisans do and that is their life choice and brava diva to them if they can pull it off - and some do in fierce and fabulous fashion. That being said, I do not. I am a dude, man. LOL. I get gussied up for the shows and the entertainment aspect of it. Plus, I think the makeup and attire bring out a more vivacious and alluring side of me... Yessss, sir!!!
photo by Diva Kingsley
ooh in the early to mid 90s I had this platinum blonde phase that I am soooo glad I got over...lol. It was a lot of maintenance.
the Florida version of myself in 2007...
I was born and raised in Detroit and lived there for the first 36 years of my life...
I moved to Florida in 2006 and LOVE IT! Still love my Detroit peeps,
but I discovered there is so much more to the world by making that move.
photo by Steven Albert; 2002
at the 2002 Performer Awards of Detroit
Yes, I did a drag show at a Border's Bookstore!
Hey, what can I say, I am a multi-faceted writer and entertainer...
I loved that show because people - families with their kids - stopped and watched, AND enjoyed what they were witnessing. We had fun with it and I was so proud to do it.
Here I am with Nancy Ross at my 39th birthday show in 2009 at Monkey Business.
Nancy is a fan favorite at my YouTube channel and has won five career Cassone Channel Honors for their work there. Always brings a smile to my face. Photo by Sherman Rosser.
Owwwwwwww!!!
photo by Sherman Rosser; 2009
At Regine's Off the Park; photo by Steven Albert, 2002
WOW! I never felt more accepted than when I would get together with DeAngela 'Show' Shannon and her 'children of the corn' LOL and perform on Monday nights at Regine's in Detroit. Reggie, the bar owner (rest his soul), was always a firm supporter and a fan of mine for many years; a very generous man. I say what I say about acceptance, because it was like performing at the Apollo in New York. African-American audiences WANT to SEE a GREAT show! What had peeved me for many years (and still does) is racism within the gay community. It is like an oxymoron. I used to get talked about so much because of my support of the queens and male entertainers in the African-American community, because I dated African-American men - I heard about it all too often...and from both sides of the debate. THAT being said, there is nothing more rewarding than to win over a tough, wanting to be entertained to the highest degree, African-American audience because they will expose the bad, but soooo appreciate it when you are good (no matter who you are or the color of your skin) - and it was one of the few places back home where I kinda sorta... I dunno - felt like a STAR! And I have never forgotten the kind people there and those fabulous shows we use to put on... Owwwwww!
now THAT was a fun wig! LOL
At the Rainbow Room; photo by Nkosi Figueroa, 2004
photo by Steven Albert, 2002
photo by Steven Albert, 2002
photo by Nkosi Figueroa; 2004

As you see I change up my look a lot...lol.

*sigh*

Such memories...most of them good. Glad I could share some with you. Now, I need a cocktail - just kidding :>))

No comments: